Friday 1 November 2013

Infiltration - Part 3

Emi was beginning to get lonely. It was less than a day since Thomson had left and she missed him greatly.
Instead of Thomson, Bei had to keep applying medigel to the wound in her thigh, which thankfully was looking better. You couldn't see fully through the hole, in fact it had nearly healed from both sides.
Emi and Bei kept each other company. They talked about life back on the Flotilla, what they had done since and what they wanted to do in the future.
Most of all, however, they spoke about the events of Tuchanka.
Bei was also starting to feel lonely. She had been used to travelling with Humin and Srateris. And since both were dead...
Emi was starting to be able to stand up for short periods of time unassisted, but could not yet manage walking. Every time she tried, she felt her wounded leg give way and she began to fall. Luckily Bei had been there to catch her.
She couldn't wait for Thomson's visit.

"Look," said Thomson, "Although we fought well in the bar, we could do better. We were fighting individually instead of as a group. We need to cover each other in future."
The leader of the infiltrators nodded, "We do indeed. Hey, seven, what will they do next?"
From what Thomson could gather, each member of the group was assigned a number as a codename. There were originally nine members of the group, ten including Thomson.
The only distinguishing feature he had seen on any of the soldiers so far was that Five had an electric sword. Five was currently sharpening some throwing knives.
"By the way," said One, the leader, "Seven is the plan maker. He is great at it. Never gone wrong with him."
"Ok," said Thomson with a nod.
Seven thought for a moment, "Well they're after Emi'Derik, but didn't go straight to the ship. So they don't know where she is. They were probably looking for Aria to see if she knew where they were. If I was them I'd try the housing areas because it'd be well... common sense. Thomson, you shouldn't go back to the Falcon. It could alert them to Emi's whereabouts. I recommend Five should go and scout the area."
"Why?" asked One.
"Because they'll have sent their master assassin too."

As Thomson left the small, factory-like building where Aria T'Loak had given them the address for, Five went to the Kima district as per his instructions.
Apparently Thomson - or Ten - as he was now called, had promised to see his Quarian girlfriend a few times a day. And he always kept to his promises, or something.
Five pressed his back against a wall and looked around the corner at the two Turian guards armed with rifles who were stood at a checkpoint to the housing district. They were wearing heavy battle armour and had their fingers inside the trigger guards, ready to shoot any person who looked hostile.
He wouldn't be able to get past them by conventional means. So he activated his tactical cloak and began moving towards the checkpoint, his form only a slight blur in the air.
Five stepped around the Turians and climbed over the barrier that separated the two districts.
He then moved his hands to his sides and raised himself up using his biotics, placing his feet firmly on the roof of a small house. Five looked around over the horizon. There was no sign of any assassins from the other gang, not even on the street. But there was something oddly quiet about the housing district, something slightly... disturbing.
Five trusted his combat senses. Something was going to happen. He was beginning to feel a prickling at the back of his neck. Someone was behind him.
He spun, drawing his sword out of its sheath and slicing it through the air. Vibrations thundered up his arm as his blade hit something solid. He got the first look at his attacker - the assassin from Afterlife. The one who nearly beat him.
"Hello again," said the enemy assassin, "You can not even hide from me when you are wearing a tactical cloak."
Five deactivated his cloaking device, since it was indeed useless. He took a step back, dropping slightly lower than he had been previously and positioned himself on the balls of his feet, spreading his weight evenly between both of his legs with his centre of mass in the centre. He raised his sword out in front of him.
The other assassin did likewise.
Their swords clashed twice in quick succession. White electricity flashed around the two blades, firing aimlessly into the air in random - but beautiful - patterns.
The assassin's body started glowing blue as he began to use biotics. Five did the same, planning a biotic jump up into the air for an aerial strike.
Their swords sung through the air and struck each other, causing a metallic clang which rang through the housing district of Omega. Five sidestepped away from a thrust and slashed at the assassin's head. His enemy ducked underneath it and struck towards his stomach, but he knocked the blade away with his own and kicked, sending the other assassin stumbling back.
Both of them biotic jumped at the same time into the same place. They fell a few metres back down to the rooftop and landed in a heap, but they both were up again in an instant - both their swords lost after the mid-air collision.
The assassin threw a knife at Five, which he dodged with a quick step to the side. A second blade flew towards him, but instead of dodging it, he moved quickly to the left, grasping the handle of the knife as it flew past his head. He used its own momentum to power a spin, throwing the knife back at the assassin like a slingshot.
Five's enemy dropped to the ground and the knife just passed over his head. Five closed in on the assassin, giving him no chance to get up until it was too late. He chopped at the assassin's neck, but it was blocked with a forearm as fast as lightning. Five kicked, taking his enemy by surprise and winding him. He heard gasps for breath.
"Shall we continue?" Five asked, "This is a rather interesting fight. I have never fought someone as good as you."
"It is indeed interesting," agreed the assassin, "I am Epsilon."
"I am Five. Pleased to meet you."
Epsilon swung a punch. Five grasped his forearm and swung around it, kicking Epsilon in the back of the helmet. The assassin stumbled forwards, but responded with a backwards kick into Five's groin. Luckily he was wearing armour, so it didn't have that much effect. It still was enough to throw him off-balance.
Five came to attack again, but he realised too late that Epsilon had collected his sword.
Epsilon swung his sword, forcing Five to duck. What started off as a charge ended up in some sort of tackle. They both went sprawling across the roof. Five swiped up his sword and blocked a strike, but continued pushing his sword - sending Epsilon's blade outwards.
Five jabbed at Epsilon, doing no actual damage because of his armour, but the electrical disruption meant that the assassin was shocked. There was a crackling noise and white electricity travelled the full length of his body, paralysing him for several seconds.
The seconds were all Five needed to point a pistol directly at his head.
"I don't want to kill you," he said, "I was not instructed to do anything. I am here for recon only."
Epsilon recovered a few moments later, "As am I. That is, if I was working for the gang. But I have another purpose to look for you, Five."
Five tilted his head, "And what is that?"
"I work for someone who is interested in taking the gang down. Well, the person who ordered the contract against Emi'Derik. He put me undercover in the gang to learn their plans. To see what the contractor had them doing."
"On whose behalf is the contract?" Five asked.
"Someone who calls himself Vengeance," Epsilon answered, "Someone who dislikes Thomson. And to be fair, I'm not working for someone who works for someone who wants revenge."
"So does that mean we can count on you?"
"Yes. I will fight with you when it comes to it. Just don't blow my cover."
"How do I know you're not lying?"
"If I wanted you dead, you already would be."
"I doubt it," Five shrugged, "But ok."
"I'm just finding out Vengeance's plan. One bit at a time."

Thomson and Emi embraced, "I love you;" he told her, "I love you so much."
"... I love you too," she said, "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to come..."
"Emi," Thomson said, "There's something you should know..."
"... Is everything alright?"
"Well no... Not really. There's a gang out to kill you."
"... But... Why?"
"I don't know," he said, "I know it's on a full security lockdown here, and there's always Bei to protect you but I'm worried."
"... Why do they want to kill me? Have I done something wrong...?"
Thomson shook his head, "I think they deal with Quarian slaves. They might want you because of that..."
"... Please..." she sobbed, "Please don't let me become a slave..."
"I won't," he said. "I'm going to get to the bottom of it. I promise."
"... Oh keelah..."
He kissed her helmet, "Please don't worry. You'll be fine, I know you will."
"... A terminal-thing is beeping," she pointed out, "... Has been doing for a few hours... I didn't know what to do to stop it..."
"I'll go and check. Where is it?"
"... In the war zone thing."
"The Combat Information Centre?"
"... Yes, that."
Thomson held her hand and they walked into the CIC from the bridge. The circular table that would normally display holograms was dull and lifeless, though a red light was blinking on the console.
He pressed a button and the terminal activated, automatically displaying his current message inbox. The only one that was unread was one from an "unknown sender".
Thomson pressed on the holographic terminal and the message opened.
"Thomson, there are things we need to discuss. Meet me in Afterlife at 1400 hours. Do not tell anyone where you are going. I wish to help."
Thomson checked his watch. It was already 1:35, and the ship was a good twenty minutes away from Afterlife.
"I'm sorry Emi," he said, "Something's come up. I'll be back soon though. Promise."
Emi sighed, "... But you've only just got here... I've been looking forward to it..."
"I'm really sorry. I'll make it up to you."
"... How?"
"I'll think of something. I'm sorry, Emi. I really am."
"... It's ok, I guess... I really don't feel safe here, though... I keep hearing gunshots and there's a gang after me and I don't know why... I really want to leave... Please hurry up so we can leave and get back to our children... I miss them... So much..."
"I miss them too," he told her, "I'll deal with this gang as fast as possible and we can go back to the Citadel together, ok?"
She nodded, "... You promised you'll come and see me... Please don't break it..."
"I won't," he said, kissing her helmet, "It won't be long. I'm meeting someone."

Emi sighed as Thomson left. She had been hoping for something a little... better than just a few moments talking to him. She wanted him to stay for at least a few hours with her... maybe she had her expectations too high.
She didn't at all like the feelings she got about what he said. She was scared. There was a gang after her... Who wanted to try and turn her into a slave... She hadn't done anything wrong. Why were they after her?
Not only did she dislike that, but she didn't like how Thomson treated her when he was in his war mode. It was like... she had somehow been pushed to the back of his priority list. Maybe she was being selfish... she understood that what Thomson did was usually a life or death situation, for the entire galaxy, but he hadn't been able to spare a few hours for her because he was busy shooting people whilst she was shaking with fear.
"Hey," said Bei, "Are you ok?"
She shook her head, "... I don't think so, no..."
"What's the matter?"
She shrugged, "... I'm not sure... Is it bad I feel that Thomson sometimes prefers his job over me? At least... that's what it seems like..."
Bei put her hand on Emi's shoulder, "He loves you, Emi. He can't be without you. I'm sure he's only doing what he's doing for your benefit."
"... I think without him I'm going to die..." Emi sobbed, as she felt tears stream down her face, "... There are some people who want to kill me... Or make me their slave..."
"I won't let them," said Bei, "And neither will Thomson. You'll see. He's smart. I bet he's already planning ahead. You'll be perfectly safe, honestly. If all else fails I still have my shotgun from Tuchanka."
"... If it's alright," Emi said, "Please don't leave me alone... They could be already on board..."
"I'll stay with you, don't worry," Bei responded, giving Emi a quick reassuring hug, "But Thomson put it on full security lockdown. Nothing can get in. We'll be fine."
"... But he also said he'd come and visit me once every few hours... It's been six since we landed and he's only seen me once for two minutes, if that..."
"If he skips a meeting with you, he'll have a good reason for it. He'll be trying to protect you from the gang."
"... Ok... I guess I'm just scared..."
"With good reason, though," said Bei, "Don't worry, though. He loves you, he'll protect you."

Thomson made sure his pistol was loaded as he stepped into Afterlife. He had removed his helmet and carried it in his hand. The music was playing the same repetitive song as before. A rhythmic drum beat with an electronic tune accompanying it.
Oddly, the Krogan doorman had allowed him to enter without joining the queue. He was rather happy, though slightly concerned, about that.
He took a single step towards the bar, though a voice stopped him in his tracks.
"Hello Lieutenant."
He turned to see a single Geth unit looking at him with a glowing, unblinking optic. It's metal skin was black in colour and despite the fact it was robotic, no wires could be seen.
"Who are you?" Thomson asked the Geth, "Why did you want to meet me?"
"Despite appearances," answered the unit, "I am no Geth. I merely asked permission to connect to its body for a few hours. It agreed, so here I am."
"Let me get this straight. You asked a Geth if you could use its body?"
The Geth nodded, "It was the only way I could communicate with you."
"Who are you?"
"Now that is a long story. Please do not be alarmed. As specified in my message to you, I am here to help. I believe we met on Tuchanka. I am Revenge, though I no longer feel like going under that name."
"Revenge?! That means... you're a... that's impossible! I saw you die!"
"I am a Reaper, yes. But I never died. My consciousness was uploaded to the Reaper database, where it is now. We once had control over the Geth, so I merely uploaded some extra programmes on top of the ones we had already installed to allow me to connect, but not transfer myself, to this unit."
"Why do you want to help me? Didn't you work with Renswick and you tried to kill us?"
"I worked with Renswick, but not any more. Vengeance has become mad with rage. He will do anything to stop you. That's why he put a contract on your partner's head. He's trying to hurt you."
"... Renswick's alive? Shit. So he's behind all this?"
"Yes. The gang who he has employed were sympathetic to Cerberus when they tried to invade back in 2186. He's using their loyalty and the promise of good Reaper technology to make them kill Emi'Derik. I already have a contact on the inside who is giving me information."
"Why don't you just get rid of Renswick yourself?"
"I can't. I have no body. Inside of the network, however, we are unable to delete files from another Reaper. To fight him both he and I would need bodies. He is being created one by the gang. I am stuck using various things from Geth units to terminals showing everything from sports to torture programmes in an attempt to communicate with you. I hope you appreciate how disturbed I am, and how much I need your help."
"I understand. But I don't trust you. I never tried to hurt you, and yet when we were trying to get away you tried to shoot us."
"That was a mistake, admittedly. And I paid for it with my life. He is growing in power day by day as he's starting seizing control of every network available to him. By yourself you'd have no chance. If we join forces, we at least have a half-decent shot at killing him. Once and for all."

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of happy Thomson now knows what's happening. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay. :)

    This story has a really complex plot. :)

    Well . . . not massively complex, because it's only a little story, but pretty complex. :)

    You have all these characters with different motives and you don't KNOW al they're motives, and it's interesting. :)

    I have a story that had with ten people called the numbers One to Ten . . . everyone except Nine died, and he's never going to be the same again. :)

    Plus - from a story point of view, it's good how you're making their relationship (Thomi) a bit uncertain now, because that makes it more agonising for the reader. :)
    But I am a reader, so NOOOOOOOO. D: :P

    #ChaseForBookNine

    ReplyDelete