Friday 8 November 2013

Infiltration - Part 6

Emi froze for several moments. Her mind was trying to process what had just happened, but eventually she just gave up completely.
"... B... Bei... Why...?"
Bei blushed, her cheeks flushing a darker shade of purple. She seemed to try and hide underneath the duvet, "Emi, I'm really sorry... I didn't mean for it to happen... I'm not... I don't... I really don't find women attractive... I just have a feeling this gang will kill me, and I didn't want to die without kissing someone..."
The confusion in Emi's head slowly died down as she was beginning to understand what Bei was feeling. She had felt the same a few years before she met Thomson. Life wearing an environment suit was depressing, and sometimes it felt like you'd never have any intimacy with anyone before you grew too old. She didn't blame Bei for taking the opportunity, which was probably the only one she'd ever have.
Emi had been extremely lucky to find Thomson. She knew many Quarians died without doing... well, anything. Never having the sensation of being hugged, or never being kissed. Things were different now the Geth had agreed to share Rannoch with them, but the change from the Flotilla to their home world was a slow one. It'd take months, years, even, maybe longer, to orchestrate the mass migration. In that time, there would be things the Quarians would be missing out on.
Emi felt happy she had been so privileged, but felt empathy and sadness for Bei.
"... It's fine..." Emi said, "... I understand..."
"I just... I feel like I'll never find anyone..." Bei responded, "I'm sorry if it came as a shock... I probably should have asked first..."
Emi took Bei's hand in hers, and gave it a slight comforting squeeze, "... I really do understand... But asking me first could have been nice, I guess..."
"I didn't think if I asked you would have said yes..."
"... I think I would have... I know how you feel and I feel sorry for you... I felt the same a few years ago... Just... I'm sure you'll find someone..."
"I'm not sure I will... No one likes Quarians... I just feel like I'll be alone for the rest of my life... That's why I kissed you... So I could finally feel it..."
Emi laid her hand on Bei's and gave it a reassuring squeeze, "... I know, you really don't have to try and explain... I'm not angry or anything..."
"Then how do you feel...?"
"... I think I feel sorry for you..."
Emi swallowed, took a deep breath to steady her shaking, and kissed Bei gently on the cheek.
"What was that for...?" Bei questioned, moving a hand to her cheek and gently probing where Emi's lips had been with a finger.
"... I feel sorry for you..."
"Does that mean...?"
Emi nodded, "... Yes... Just... I'm not a hundred percent sure... Please like..."
"Go slow...?"
Emi nodded, "... I don't want to know what Thomson would say... But I feel sorry for you... I don't want you to feel bad... I'll just have to try and explain it to him..."
Bei slowly moved her head closer to Emi's so their foreheads were touching. She could hear Bei's heart beating quickly, alike to her own. It was so... different, to anything that had happened to her before... she just wanted Bei to feel what it was like...
Their lips connected, but parted again a moment later.
They kissed again, but it was over as quick as the first. It seemed that neither of them were willing to kiss properly. Maybe because it was so strange, but also extremely embarrassing.
Their lips touched again, this time for slightly longer as Bei started to grow in confidence. She wrapped her arms around Emi's hips.
"I really do appreciate this..." said Bei, "It feels strange kissing another girl but it's... a good experience..."
"... I feel bad for taking part in it..." Emi replied, "... But I really want you to feel what it's like... It's worth the embarrassment... I think..."
Bei kissed Emi and she kissed her friend back. Their lips stayed together for an eternity in comparison to the other kisses, or at least that was what it felt like to Emi.
"Just to be sure..." said Bei, breaking away from the kiss, "You don't have any feelings for me, do you...?"
"... Of course not, Bei... Do you have any feelings for me...?"
Bei shook her head, "No... Thanks for doing this for me... I just wanted to feel it before I die..."
"... I know... But if you don't mind, I think I'd like to stop... It just feels a little weird..."
"That's fine... Thank you, Emi... I mean it."
They kissed one last time, this one for at least fifteen seconds, then Emi clicked her glass faceplate back into place.

"God damn it," said Thomson, "We've searched every district on Omega and there are still no clues. Seven, get the map. We'll organise another search."
Seven unclicked a metal cylinder from his belt and activated the datapad. A holographic view of Omega flickered into life.
"So," said Seven, "The only place we haven't checked is the central column. But it should be impossible to have a base there. All it is, is pipes and fixtures. It's barely habitable."
"But they have the helmets. If I was guessing I'd say that the design was similar to an Alliance breather helmet," replied Thomson, "They could survive there that way."
A blue ripple started pulsing from the central structure.
"What is that?" Five questioned, pointing at the anomaly.
Seven shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe your friend activated a tracking device."
"He did indeed. I told him to," said Revenge, "That is the location of their base."
"But we're two men down since Two and Three are at the docking area," said One.
"Yes, but you have me," Revenge pointed out, "I will be more of an asset to you."
"Ok then," said Thomson, "We attack in the morning."

Morning came faster than Thomson would have liked. The tracking device was still active, and had been going throughout the night.
They activated their tactical cloaks, making sure the air filters were working correctly on their helmets. The group made their way to the central structure on Omega. It didn't take them long, as it had been designed to be accessible from any part of the space station.
Seven deactivated the map as they reached their destination.
"Revenge," said One, "Go and hack into their security. Open their doors."
The gang's base seemed to be a large array of factories, landing pads and warehouses. They hadn't seen anyone patrolling around the base nor showing any attempt to guard it.
"Hack in progress," said Revenge. There was silence for a few seconds before he added, "Security disabled, opening the front door."
There was a gentle rumbling noise that suddenly became audible. There were no differences in pitch, though clearly one or more things were creating the sound. It was getting louder and louder by the moment.
"What's that?" asked Thomson, having to raise his voice so he could be heard.
"I don't know!" One replied, "But it's getting closer!"
A starship appeared from behind the base. A large, hugely large, craft. At least ten times larger than the Falcon. Probably more, in fact. A Dreadnought.
"Well," Five said, "We now know what was creating the sound."
"But that doesn't explai-" Thomson began.
Two other Dreadnoughts drifted behind it. Followed by row upon row of the heavily armed ships. Thomson counted fifty. A hundred. More.
"... Oh fuck," said One, "Get inside now!"

Alpha stood in the cockpit of the leading Dreadnought, feeling rather pleased with himself. His plan was going perfectly. He had a small collection of starships. But small wouldn't be enough.
Vengeance had told him he was in contact with approximately another thousand people across the galaxy. Some indoctrinated, some not. All were in charge of some sort of organised crime.
If each supplied him with a hundred ships, he'd have a fleet of a hundred thousand by the time they'd reach Sur'Kesh.
"Red two this is Red Leader," Alpha said to Beta's Dreadnought, which was following closely behind his own, "We'll be giving the docking area a quick visit. You head off to the relay. Meet at the rendezvous location."
"Yes sir," said Beta.
Alpha ordered his pilot to break away from the group, and manoeuvre the large vessel towards the docking bay in which Lieutenant Thomson's ship - the SF-2 Falcon, was parked.

"... They're going after Emi," Thomson said as he looked across the empty warehouse, "I'm going to save her. You need to stay here and salvage any data you can. I'll message you if I'm still alive."
"I am coming with you," said Five, "You will need my help."

Alpha strode off the cargo ramp of the Dreadnought, drawing two pistols from the holsters on his belt. Two personnel from the Infiltration Team seemed to be guarding the docking area.
He finished them both with one round to the head, the armour piercing rounds nearly shattering their helmets.
Alpha walked up to the Falcon and quickly hacked into the door mechanism, bypassing all the security protocols on his way. The cargo ramp of the Frigate slid down and he stepped inside.

Emi heard footsteps walking past Bei's room.
"... Thomson?" she called, "... I'm in here."
The door slid apart and an armoured figure stepped into the room.
"Hey, Thom-" Bei began, but realised her mistake, "Wait... Who are you?"
The armoured man tilted his head, "What's this? Two for the price of one?"
Bei threw herself across the room, scrambling for her shotgun. The man fired a pistol at her but the round hit the wall above Bei's bed.
Emi screamed and rolled out from under the duvet, landing on the floor rather heavily.
As Bei raised her shotgun, the man stepped forward and snatched it from her grip. He threw it to the floor, and slammed Bei's head into the wall, knocking her unconscious.
Emi cried out for Bei as she saw her friend drop. She began sobbing uncontrollably, and did her best to move away from her attacker. It only took a few moments for him to trap her in a corner.
"... What do you want?" Emi sobbed.
"Money," growled the man, "And lots of it."
He pulled her to her feet with an iron tight grip on her shoulder. Before she realised what was happening, a fist hit her in the side of the helmet. She cried in pain and fell to her knees.
The man didn't stop. He hit her again, making her hit the floor fully.
He kicked her in the back of the head, and she slipped into unconsciousness.

Thomson growled in both frustration and sadness as he entered the docking bay, and saw the large Dreadnought sitting next to the Falcon, both cargo ramps down. He drew a pistol.
A single figure walked down the ramp of the Falcon with two unconscious forms slung over his shoulder. Emi and Bei. They both appeared to be breathing, which was a good sign.
Thomson saw Alpha drop - literally drop - the two Quarians on to the ramp.
He felt the static build up in his hands, then splayed his palms, creating a shockwave which sent Alpha flying off his feet.
Five and Thomson deactivated their tactical cloaks.
"This ends here," said Thomson, "I'm not letting you take them."
"I fail to see how you can stop me," Alpha responded, "I may be outnumbered, but you still have no chance."
"You could barely beat me," Thomson said, "But you think you can best a master assassin too?"
"No," Alpha said, "I'm going to cheat."
Two rounds were fired. The first one went straight through Thomson's shields and embedded itself in his knee. He hissed in pain and his leg crumpled.
The second shot missed Five by a millimetre, though the two follow up ones took him down, despite his best attempts at trying to dodge them.
Five also collapsed, with a hole in both his legs.
Alpha walked up the cargo ramp of the Dreadnought, and the hatch began to shut. Thomson emptied his pistol whilst trying to shoot the gang leader, but none of the rounds hit his target. Five threw a knife which embedded itself in Alpha's shoulder, but he was lost from sight before they could tell whether it had any effect.
Thomson put pressure on the wound in his leg. It, luckily, seemed to only be a flesh wound. He'd be fine with some medigel.
He took a canister of the gel and jammed it into his knee, injecting the wound directly with the clotting and healing agent. He felt a slight numbness as the painkiller started to take effect.
Thomson got to his feet, though slowly. He helped Five by supporting him, and started trying to help him towards the medical bay.

Several hours later, the gunshot wounds had healed and the Infiltration team was sat in the CIC of the Falcon.
"Call everyone you know," Thomson said, "Call the Alliance. Call the Citadel. Revenge, call the Geth. Get every fleet you can, everyone, and tell them to go to Sur'Kesh. Is the tracking device still active?"
"Yes," said Seven, "They're at Sur'Kesh already."
"Well we need to move fast. They had like two hundred Dreadnoughts. Do you have ships of your own?"
One nodded, "Fighters. Yes."
"Well then, let's get this done. My girlfriend is there. I won't let her be killed, or turned into a slave," Thomson growled.
"So what's the plan?"
"Actually," said Seven, "I think I know their plan.
You see, my suspicions were raised when they dealt with Quarian slaves. It seemed a bit odd, to me. Quarians can barely live outside their suits. So what's the point in having them?
I think, this Renswick guy has traded them more money than is possibly imaginable for his body. He will have granted them a fleet."
"And as for the money?" Thomson questioned, "Where will they get that?"
"They deal in Quarian slaves. They'll have a fleet. They're going to go to the Migrant Fleet and use them as slaves."
"But they'll be shot on sight," Thomson pointed out, "I've been there when I was fighting the Geth. Their security is second to none unless..."
"... Unless they had the passwords, which they'd have got from the previous slaves."
"Oh shit."

A slap brought Emi back into consciousness. She groaned and rubbed the side of her helmet. She had a pounding headache that she could feel behind her eyes and it felt like she had been hit in the head by a speeding Varren. Or a small ship from the Flotilla. She could feel at least seven angry bruises on her face.
She seemed to be in the cockpit of some kind starship. There were terminals dotted around, which seemed to display some sort of statistics to do with weapon systems, although she wasn't sure. There was a window above her head. She could see forests and mountains, but nothing to give any indication where she was.
The armoured man was stood in front of her, with his gun raised and pointed at her head, "What are your codes?" he growled.
"... Codes for what?" she sobbed, "... The Falcon? I don't have any codes... I don't even know how to activate a terminal... I can't even contact my children..."
"For the Migrant Fleet, you stupid bitch," Alpha said, "I know all Quarians are given codes to let them back in the Flotilla after their Pilgrimage. Tell me yours."
She thought for a moment, "... Down in the darkness... Among the depths..."
Alpha punched her and she fell back against the inside of the ship, "I'm not a - what do you Quarians say? - bosh'tet. I know they give you two passwords. Tell me the one which won't involve both of us being killed."
"... I don't want to..."
He punched her again, cracking the glass of her helmet. She shrieked and held her breath, not wanting to inhale the diseased air.
"I don't care. You will die unless I give you the immune system booster I have in my pocket. Tell me the codes and I'll let you live. The air is full of human influenza, filtered by our helmets, but not now by your mask. You will have an allergic reaction in the next few hours."
When she couldn't hold her breath any longer, she forced air into her lungs, "... Please... give me the booster..."
"Tell me your codes. Or you will die."
She cried, "... Ok... Ok... I'll tell you... Just please don't let me become ill..."
"For a Quarian," the man sneered, "You are very beautiful. Has anyone ever told you that?"
She glared at him, then sighed, "... My password is 'Among the stars, among the light'... Please give me the immune system booster..."
The man threw her the small needle full of the clear liquid.
She caught it and pushed it through the seal of her suit, injecting the liquid into her system. She grimaced in pain and glared hatefully up at the man, whilst taking out a replacement faceplate from the pouch in her skirt and fitting it into place.
"... Thomson will kill you..." Emi said, "... He will..."
"Ha!" grinned the man, "I doubt it. Wait until you see the person I'm working for. He'll stand no chance."
"... He's never lost a battle yet... He'll win again..."
"Not this time."
"... He'll be coming for me..."
"Oh, I know. I guarantee it. The idiot will bring the Falcon and try and attack. He'll be killed by my boss before he even gets close to you. As for now..." the man turned towards the second crew member who was watching the scene unfold, "Prepare for stage one."

2 comments:

  1. .... I really, really hope Thomson gets to her fast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that part was a mixture of sadness and shockingness and awesomeness. :)

    Poor Bei. :(

    This might be where Thomson dies. :/

    But I hope he doesn't. Otherwise the Quarians are mostly doomed. :(

    Good plot. :)

    #ChaseForBookNine

    ReplyDelete