Thursday 14 November 2013

Infiltration - Part 8

Emi felt cold and was shivering uncontrollably. She was still crying. The blood had reached her neck and was being held back by her tears.
"Don't you want to move?" the man asked, "You're all bloody as it is."
Emi shook her head, "... I'm not moving... I deserve to be bloody... I can't handle this... All of it... He puts his life in danger like he wants to die and I just killed someone... I hate myself for it... I'm not moving until he comes back..."
"Suit yourself, I guess, if you forgive the pun."
"... I just... Killed him... Why did I kill him? ... What kind of monster am I...?"
"You are not a monster. You saved Thomson's life."
"... I killed someone... Emi'Derik... Killer..."
"You killed one man to save another. Don't they cancel each other out?"
Emi shook her head and raised her bloody hands, "... They'll be forever stained with blood..."
Bei walked in the cockpit, "Keelah... What happened?"
The man shrugged, "From what I can gather, she killed the leader of the gang - Alpha - to save the life of Thomson and is now well... Like this. Even though he was going to attack the Migrant Fleet and everything and enslave them."
"Emi, come on, get out of the blood..."
"... Leave me alone... I want to be with Thomson... go away..."
Bei sat down next to her, "Look, Emi. You killed someone. If it was someone who wasn't trying to destroy our people, I would agree with the reason why you're sad. But he was trying to kill your boyfriend. He was trying to enslave our race. You saved seventeen million lives by doing that - every single one of our people is alive because of you. Thomson didn't do anything. Thomson didn't save the Fleet. You did. The entire Flotilla is in your debt. You saved our people from a life of pain and torment. He was a bad person. I'm sure there are millions of soldiers across the galaxy who think the same way as you, and are only kept going by the fact that they only shoot people for a reason. Thomson is one of them. As soon as an innocent - you, basically - is in danger, he comes and saves you. Every single time. Without fail. He is only on Sur'Kesh right now because of you. He came to save you to prevent you being enslaved or killed. Is shooting the person who nearly killed you a bad thing?"
"... I'm no innocent... I killed him... but... I guess not..."
"If saving you from it isn't a bad thing, then why is saving our entire race?"
"... I don't know... I just..."
"You're in shock. You just killed someone, yes. But by killing him, you've done something good. Or not?"
"I agree with her," said Epsilon, "You should really listen to her."
"... I'm still not moving..."

Thomson knew Revenge was dead without him. He had to distract Renswick for long enough so Revenge could target his digital consciousness, then, and only then, could he be killed. Otherwise
he'd just keep coming back and coming back, bigger and stronger every single time.
But he was in no mood for Renswick's bullshit. If he could, he would just shoot him then and there.
"Revenge, how are you doing?" he questioned into his radio.
"I am ready for a final strike," the Reaper replied, "But I really could use a distraction. He's fighting back rather rapidly."
"Roger that. I'm going to wake him up."
Thomson walked over to Renswick's sleeping form and punched him in the face.
His eyes snapped open and his head slammed Thomson in the cheek, stumbling him. Renswick climbed off the bed and grinned wickedly.
"I shot you. Twice. No amount of medigel could have healed the wounds in this amount of time. I have the advantage."
"I don't care. I'm going to kill you."
"I'd like to see you try."


Emi cried. And cried. She was unable to shake the feeling that she was a horrible and twisted monster.
Added on top of that there was the fact she couldn't decide whether she was still herself or not. There was an incredible pain in her mind that she could not forget. She was questioning her own mental health, which wasn't a good sign in itself.
For a start, she had thought the pain had not done anything. She had recovered from the rest of the things that had been done to her, but not prolonged times of unimaginable pain. She felt like something had tripped in her head, making her...
She wasn't sure what she was. But she certainly didn't want to go through that pain again. She'd do anything for it not to happen.
Emi knew that she wouldn't survive another minute of that pain. That'd just get to the point where she'd do whatever was asked of her. Her body could not take any more. Any more of the pain that had blasted through her body, like thousands of knives stabbing in and out of her flesh at the same time.
But now that the shock had gone, what was there left? Was there a part of her that remained? Or had she been lost when the pain started?
She couldn't concentrate on anything. There were only two things in her mind; pain, and Thomson. But even both of them were blurred together. Thomson, in theory, had caused her the pain. She was only in the situation because someone wanted revenge on him. So could he be blamed?
A wave of love came from her stomach, telling her "no, he came to rescue you. He isn't to blame."
But there was also a part of her that thought, "yes, he's to blame. Without him you'd be on Earth having a good time with your friends."
Voices in her head, now that wasn't a good sign.

Thomson swung a vicious punch that connected with Renswick's cheek, sending his head spinning around.
He took a step back, and whilst Renswick was still recovering, kicked him in the stomach.
Renswick drew a knife. Biotics were pretty much useless in the cramped space inside his quarters, but Thomson still tried to knock the knife out of his hand with biotic energy.
His wound was slowing him. He knew it. Renswick just moved the knife out of the way and closed in.
Thomson blocked a slash with his forearm, knocking the wrist back so the knife never connected. But, before he could react, Renswick tossed the knife into his other hand and thrust it into his stomach.
Thomson gasped and fell back against the wall, once again putting pressure around the wound - but keeping the knife wedged in so it'd stop him bleeding.
"Wow, today isn't going well for you. Is it?" Renswick grinned, "Girlfriend broken, you've been shot and stabbed... I bet you wish you'd never got involved with me in the first place."
"Go... to hell..." Thomson hissed.
"I'll see you there, don't worry. Then maybe you'll actually be able to kill me. Oh, and by the way, you forgot Alliance training session two, lesson four. Always be prepared to switch hands in combat. I believe you came first in that class. Then again, you came first in every class. That's why you were a higher rank than me, right?" Renswick turned away.
"Emi... isn't broken... you didn't break her... She's stronger than us..."
Renswick laughed, "Oh, I broke her. You have no idea how much I actually broke her. By now she'll be hearing voices in her head."
"Voices...? What... voices?"
"Reaper voices, of course. I'm still hooked up to the Reaper network. Although my connection is now limited, thanks to your friend Revenge, I still have access to indoctrination. Which I exposed Emi to whilst she was being tortured."
"Attack complete," said Revenge into his ear, "Kill him. Now."
Renswick laughed, "You're well and truly beaten this time. You're slumped against the wall, your girlfriend will be indoctrinated in a matter of hours, and your fleet above the planet is already down to half." He tilted his head so he was looking at him, "Beat me now, Thomson." He turned back around, "You only have around... thirty seconds left."
Thomson rose as quietly as he could, drawing the knife out of the gunshot wound in his stomach where it had luckily found itself, leaving him without any other injury.
"You know, Emi'Derik and I will be both Reapers. Maybe I'll ask her-"
Thomson swung the knife in a vicious arc, born out of anger and desperation than any well-placed strike. By the luck of... well, he didn't believe in any gods. So he guessed the look of Emi's Quarian ancestors drove the knife through his back and pierced Renswick's heart.
"... Oh," said Renswick, "I wasn't expecting that..."
"You forgot Alliance training session one, lesson three. Never turn your back on a living opponent."
Blood began leaking out of Renswick's mouth. He coughed up more crimson liquid and sank down on to the floor of his quarters.
Thomson moved as fast as he could back to the cockpit.

"Emi," said Bei, "Are you ok?"
"... Go away!" Emi hissed, her voice deep and dark, "... Leave me alone!"
There was a dark presence in her mind. She could feel it, influencing how she felt and what she said. She tried to fight it, but it pushed past her mind easily and kept pushing anger towards the surface of her consciousness.
Emi pushed back the voices, the hushed whispers, for a matter of moments, "... Sorry..." she said to Bei, "... Help me... Leave me alone!"
"Emi, what's wrong?" Bei asked.
Thomson ran into the cockpit, "She's been indoctrinated. By Renswick."
He moved to her side and looked into her eyes, "Emi, it's me. Just fight them. I know you can. You're stronger than them."
"... Thomson..." she said, almost with relief, "... I can't..."
"Yes you can. You just saved the entire Migrant Fleet. I know a few Reapers won't be a problem for you. You can do it."
"... They're..." her voice changed, "... They're too powerful... I can't ignore them... every time I try, they just go deeper, warping my memories..."
A wire began growing out of the back of her suit. Thomson ripped it off before it could reach the back of her head.
"Look, you're amazing. Just... think of something. Focus on something."

And she did. She focused on all the positive things in her life. Well, positive thing.
Thomson.
She focused on his face, his armour, which bore the N7 logo. She focused on her love for him, which burned bright - brighter than the darkness of the Reapers, forcing them back into the depths of her own mind.
She couldn't live without him. Not at all. Yes he had let her down with the visits, but overall it didn't matter. He was preventing her from harm. He was protecting her.
No, said the Reapers, He shoots people because it's his job. Don't forget that. It has nothing to do with you.
That's where you're wrong, she responded, He's always protecting me. He loves me. I love him. We're going to get married. We have children together. And you're not taking me away from him, or them, whether you like it or not.
Every time she was in trouble, every single time, there was someone to protect her. Every single time she was kidnapped or hurt, there was someone there to kill the bad guys, save her life and make her feel good.
She had always wanted to be a part of a story. Ever since she was a child when she was reading 'A Child's Dream', she wanted to be part of her very own love story - full of adventure and romance. She wanted to explore the galaxy, see interesting things, and all with someone who she loved.
She now realised she had been in a love story all along.
Her love of humans brought her to Earth. The Reapers attacked Earth. Thomson saved her.
Thomson took her to the Citadel. She saw vast and beautiful cities, filled with people and culture. She had been hurt and threatened. But still Thomson saved her life again.
And then she realised she was in love.
They had children together. They explored the galaxy together. They were a couple. She had been travelling across the galaxy all along.
She loved Thomson with every fibre of her being. A life without him would be no life. The Reapers may try and control her, but she'd fight them every step of the way. Never giving up, never letting them take control of her.
"You can never defeat us, Emi'Derik. You are becoming a Reaper."
"... I will never give in. I will never become a Reaper..."
A voice echoed through the darkness of her mind, "You're stronger than them. Just trust me. I know I didn't come when I said I would and I am so, so sorry. I was just trying to prevent this from happening. Once we get on the Citadel, I'm quitting the Alliance. For good. And we can get married. Just fight, Emi. You survived being threatened. You just saved seventeen million Quarians. You just saved my life. I know you can do it. I believe in you, as I have since the day we met."
"... Thomson..." her lips said at her own will, "... I love you so much..."
"I love you too, Emi."
Her mind was beginning to ache with all the stress of practically fighting against itself, but she felt herself getting the upper hand.

"Revenge," Thomson said, "Can you do anything?"
"Yes. I can influence the indoctrination as it isn't complete yet. I can get rid of the link with the Reaper network, but I can't stop what is already in her head. She'll have to get rid of them herself," replied the Reaper.
"Just do it. Now."

Emi felt her mind relax slightly as the link with the Reapers was blocked. She only had small amounts of information still in her mind, most of it things that had happened in the past.
She saw flashes of things. Strange, alien things. Devices and beings she couldn't possibly hope to comprehend. She saw war, she saw peace, she saw everything in between.
The flashbacks covered the entire history of the universe. From the very start to Revenge fighting Renswick inside the Reaper network. Despite all the information, it was all lost before she could remember it. She saw, but it never entered her brain. It was a very unusual experience, seeing, but not comprehending.
Then a moment later, it was gone. She felt her muscles relax, remembering nothing but a series of white flashes where the entire history of the universe should have been stored.
"No," she heard a voice say, deep and dark, but equally as full of knowledge and wisdom, "That isn't your knowledge to have."
She reclaimed control of her own body, and looked up into Thomson's face.

2 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :)

    :)

    This part was really emotional and I think you wrote it really well . . . *nods* The devastation and the sadness and the uncertainty and the love and the realisation.

    I'm glad Emi had the realisation. :)

    Hunter has voices in his head! Some of them are kind of mean, but some of them are kind of cool. :)

    I also think things were tied together quite well . . . in endingness, you know. :)

    #ChaseForBookNine

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... I just want them to go back to their children and never have an adventure again.

    ReplyDelete