Monday 4 November 2013

Infiltration - Part 4

Thomson felt bad for cutting his meeting with Emi short... but if he didn't do something she would end up dead. He had to find out where the gang were before they found Emi, which wouldn't be easy.
Revenge was no help, either. He had no idea where the gang were. Thomson didn't fully trust the Reaper, but his reasons for wanting Renswick dead - again - seemed rather legitimate. He'd let Revenge join the team, but wouldn't tell the others what he was. It would cause more harm than good if they knew he was a Reaper.
"So how long are you able to use the Geth's body?" Thomson asked him as they made their way from Afterlife, back towards the warehouse where the infiltration team were set.
"Only for a day or two," Revenge answered, "The unit is asking me how long I will be. I keep trying to tell him I do not know. I hope he will be nice enough to allow me to use it for a little longer so we can finally put an end to Vengeance."
"Do you really have no idea what he's planning? Like you can't read his... mind?"
The Geth shook its head, "I am afraid his data streams are inaccessible to me. I can, however, deduct that there is a lot of data transfer. If he is planning something, it is big. Galaxy-wide."
"Are you sure the Reapers aren't planning a huge comeback?"
"I am sure. The rest of my kind are only transferring data between themselves and to no external sources. They have no part to play in this. They are at peace. They had their shot at harvesting the galaxy and it failed, just as I had my shot at revenge and was destroyed as well."
"Isn't there a way you can... track Renswick's signal?"
"I am afraid not. He has put up firewalls by the hundreds. I can try and break them if you wish, though it will take time. He will be aware of my attempt at hacking him and he may retaliate."
"Isn't there another Reaper you can turn to and like attack him at the same time?"
"I could ask Harbinger or Sovereign. They are the strongest I know. But once again, he would realise. His presence in the network is somewhat strange. He isn't a Reaper, so isn't bound by the protocols set in place to protect us from each other. He is stronger than me. That is why I suggested fighting him in a body will be the only possible way of defeating him. But then he will be able to come back again. There is not a way which promises success. Fighting him within the network will be hard."
"And what if his body was distracted? So if our team was fighting him whilst you, Harbinger and Sovereign assaulted him inside the network?"
"That is why I came to you for help, Lieutenant. The processing power of this unit is not strong enough to launch a physical and digital attack at the same time. And you are the only person who I know who has beaten Vengeance in combat, so-"
"Three times. I've beaten him three times."
"You are the only person who I know who has beaten Vengeance three times in combat, so I thought you would be the best choice."
"Well yes, I guess. But I was kind of trying to have a peaceful life before you turned up on Tuchanka. I have a girlfriend, I have children. And to be honest you kind of ruined it."
"I apologise. My mind was blinded by hatred. This is no longer the case. Once we are done you can go back to your partner. I just need to destroy Vengeance once and for all, before he destroys both you and me."
"Why is he only after Emi? He hasn't attempted to destroy you or I, yet."
"He does not yet know that I plot against him. Contact has been made with Harbinger and Sovereign. I am awaiting a reply."
"Do you know how long it'll be until he has a body?"
The Geth shook its head, "I do not. I apologise."

Five went back to the warehouse. He opened the shutter and stepped inside, closing it behind him.
Crates of ammunition laid in a semi-circle around the factory floor. The infiltration team was loading their weapons and talking amongst themselves. Thomson - Ten - had not yet arrived back.
"Did you find anything?" One asked.
He nodded in response, "I did. It seems we have gained an ally."
"Who?" Two questioned as he tinkered with his M-9 Tempest sub-machine gun.
"Epsilon from the enemy gang. He is working for another party. Someone who wants to stop the gang as much as we do."
"And here is the other party," Thomson said with a grin as he entered the warehouse, followed by a single Geth platform, "This is... Who are you?"
The Geth tilted its head, "I have not thought of another name."

"Hey," said one of the group - Thomson guessed Three - "What's with the Geth?"
"He isn't a Geth... It's hard to explain. He's just using the Geth's body," Thomson replied.
"I am Revenge," said Revenge, "I am using this Geth's body. Lieutenant, I have got a reply from Harbinger and Sovereign. They are willing to help."
"... Harbinger, Sovereign... He's a-"
"Shit. Yes, a Reaper. He's a Reaper." Thomson grimaced.
The infiltration team raised their weapons.
"But!" Thomson said, "He's a good Reaper. Well, he's probably the best Reaper you'll ever meet. It's a long story, but he wants to help."
"But the Reapers are dead. I was there. I was in a fighter," said Seven, "We came through the mass relay and blasted the shit out of them. None survived."
"I was underground," said Revenge, "It protected me from the Crucible weapon. I was not even involved with the battle for Earth. I survived."
"Look, just put your guns down and we'll talk," said Thomson, "I'll tell you everything."

"Sir," said Beta, "Urdnot Yar wants to speak with you. In person. Regarding a fight between Epsilon and an assassin in his territory."
"Give me a moment," Alpha sighed, "I have to make a call. Organise the ships, the crew and the weapons. We'll ship out tomorrow."
"Yes sir."
Alpha walked into his conference room. The television must have sensed his presence because it lit up.
"Is my body ready?" asked Vengeance, "I need it."
Alpha nodded, "It is. We are in the process of hunting Emi'Derik too. We have narrowed her place down to the docking area. We will strike tomorrow morning, before we set off to Sur'Kesh."
Sur'Kesh was the Salarian home world. It had a mainly forest environment and Alpha had been instructed to transport his gang, the small army he had managed to muster up, and Vengeance's nearly-complete body to the planet. He wasn't sure why, but he was not one to ask questions.
"Good. Make sure he follows you. Kill the Quarian but make sure he sees you escape. I want him to be there."
"Yes sir. But, will there be any more ships? We barely have enough ships and crew to take them on, let alone take them on and win."
"There will be more. You are not the only person who I am in contact with. I promised you an army, Alpha. And an army you will have."
Alpha grinned inside his helmet, "I'm going to be so rich..."

"To grasp what actually happened, I have to tell you from the beginning," said Thomson to the entire group, "I'll keep it as short as possible.
It all started on Earth a few years ago. I was there when the Reapers invaded. I was there, and I managed to escape. Me and my partner, Renswick, who also worked for the Alliance. As we were heading towards the landing area we met Emi'Derik. She was the only survivor we'd seen so we took her with us. We went to the Council to ask for help. They refused us. Emi meanwhile was threatened by some C-Sec operatives who were actually Cerberus agents. I beat the crap out of them. Emi and I fell in love. Then, the Citadel was attacked by Cerberus who were looking for me - and I had no idea why. I got the crew of my ship to launch a counterattack, whilst Renswick and I went to infiltrate their defences.
We managed, but I was knocked out and Renswick and Emi were taken hostage, and taken to Earth. I launched a strike against Cerberus to rescue her. I managed, but learned Renswick was actually working for Cerberus. I was taken to a Cerberus laboratory where they planned to put my mind in the body of a Human-Reaper, which they salvaged from past the Omega 4 relay when Commander Shepard destroyed the Collector base. But I managed to escape with help from the crew of the Falcon. I killed Renswick and we were going to get away.
But then came the problem. Renswick had been put into the Human-Reaper, and he started trying to destroy my ship. I fought him and was losing, but we went to Earth and a Reaper killed him.
I thought that was the end.
I spent a few years with my girlfriend in my ruined ship. We had children and were happy. I quit the Alliance and only volunteered as an Operative instead of a full time soldier. Like someone who you'd call in an emergency.
And," he sighed, "Then I got a message to come in from an Alliance commander. A Reaper had survived on Tuchanka."
"But to understand fully," said Revenge, "You will have to listen to me too. I was on Tuchanka and then a Thresher Maw tried to kill me. I was dragged beneath the ground, which saved me from being killed, and I managed to burrow back to the surface. I was approached by a cloaked figure who called himself Vengeance. He wanted to work with me to achieve our common goal - revenge. But just to be sure I indoctrinated him."
"Anyway," Thomson continued, "I was put with a team. Then we went to Tuchanka. The commander told us that Commander Shepard would be joining us, but he was delayed.
We were attacked by Reaper forces-"
"... Which was my fault. I apologise," said Revenge.
Thomson glared at the Geth unit, "As I was saying, we were attacked by Reaper forces and the man who called himself Vengeance. He stole Emi from me so I went to get her back.
I fought my way through a laboratory and was going to rescue her from Vengeance. But then I found out that he was, in fact, Renswick. He had been healed and had upgrades so he could have been uploaded to the Human-Reaper. He said that a gang had given him the technology. We had a fight, and then Revenge here came into play. He climbed out of the hole he had dug himself and tried to kill my team, who were trying to kill him too.
I pushed Renswick off the top of the Reaper but me and my girlfriend fell off too. I was knocked unconscious. Renswick shot Emi in the leg and was about to kill her when I woke up and killed him instead.
The Reaper began shooting at us as we were trying to escape. But just before we died Shepard turned up and killed Revenge. Emi was taken to the med bay. Afterwards I thought coming here would be the place to find this gang. It seems I was right. Then I sent a message to you guys."
"But that is not all," said Revenge, "After I was killed I was inside the Reaper network. Vengeance wanted me to work with him. I said yes but soon after I realised my mistake. He is reckless and stupid, blinded by anger and revenge. I had no reason to work with him any more. Which is why I came to Thomson for help."
One cocked his head, "You're right. That is a long story. I still don't trust the Reaper, though."
"Hey," said Thomson, "He tried to kill me and I'm on my way to trusting him. We need all the allies we can get. By the way, are we any closer to finding out where the gang are?"
Two shook his head, "I'm afraid not."
Seven raised his hand, "It is not good news. They sent an assassin to the residential district, almost definitely to look for Emi'Derik. The assassin is on our side, but he will have told the leader of the gang that he had not seen her. They will check the docking area next. Two, Three, you need to go and guard it whilst the rest of us try and figure out where the gang is based. Do not let them get to their target."

2 comments:

  1. Hm, I'm curious what new name Revenge will choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *nods* Everyone's up to date now. :)
    I don't really trust either Revenge or Epsilon, tbh. :P

    Good plan, the how-to-take-down-Vengeance thing. :) It matches up well and things.

    I hope they don't get Emi. :/

    #ChaseForBookNine

    ReplyDelete