Thursday 29 August 2013

Part 11

Warning: May contain bad language and very, very, very mild sexual references.


"You realise we're the second group of people to successfully take down a Human-Reaper?" Lament pointed out, nearly shouting above the sound of the music inside Purgatory Bar. She downed a glass of wine quickly then immediately ordered another.
"Too many people died, though," Thomson responded, "I think there were thirty survivors. Too little. There's no way we can operate at full battle capacity with thirty crew members. The damage may be fixed but... It's useless. Weapon systems are permanently offline. We couldn't sustain a particle beam for a second."
"Maybe it's better that way," Aquila said as she sipped some lemonade through a straw, "I mean... You and Emi could settle down somewhere?"
He sighed, "The military is all I've ever known. I don't just want to forget a whole twenty four years of my life."
"How about if you joined as an Alliance consultant? Someone who only helped in an emergency? Then you'd get the best of both worlds," Herring suggested.
"I guess... But it's like... That's actually a good idea. I don't even want to become a Spectre... I have no idea why they asked me." Thomson said.
Emi walked up to the group almost nervously. She and Thomson embraced.
"... Thomson..." she said, "... Could I talk to you for a moment?"
He nodded, "Sure."
He stood up from the bar stool and moved to an empty area of the bar. When they were out of earshot, Emi started twiddling her thumbs. Not in a bored way, in a nervous way. She seemed to be trying to make herself as small as possible.
"What is it?" Thomson asked, "Are you ok?"
She cleared her throat quickly, "... I... I don't know how t... to ask... Do you r... remember when we were in your room... Y... You asked if I... I wanted any more...?"
He nodded, "Yes. Why?"
"I... I've b... been taking anti... antibiotics for the past f... few days... M... My immune s... system is good enough for..."
"For?"
She gave an embarrassed cough, "... W... Well... You know... I mean... If you still want it... A p... platonic relationship is good for me too..."
He grinned and kissed the glass of her mask, "Of course I still want it. But you didn't have to be so nervous."
She snuggled into his chest, "I... I'm sorry... I didn't know how to let y... you know that I... you know, wanted it... I don't think I've been as warm or blushed so much in my life... It... It feels like my face is on fire... It's so... new... and so embarrassing..."
He kissed her mask again, "There's no reason to be embarrassed. Honestly."
"... S... So do you want to go s... somewhere else? ... A... A dance floor p... probably is not the most ideal place..."
"Sure."

Lament nodded towards Thomson and Emi, who were walking out of the bar, "Where'd you think they're going?"
Herring shrugged, "I have no idea. Do you know what ship we're being deployed to?"
Aquila shrugged, "Dunno. I want my old job back at the Citadel... a lot less explosions."
The music in the club stopped.
"Attention everyone," said a synthesised voice through the speakers, "We have just received news that the Reapers have been destroyed."
Purgatory Bar erupted into cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Huh, Thomson could've made it easier for her... ^^ But it was kind of cute. ^^

    And yay, the reapers are destroyed! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you syaing there are sexual references is practically a sexual reference in itself. XD

    Yaaaaaay happiness! :)

    ^^^I think that's the best way to describe this part. Lots of good stuff happened, which was good, which is why it's called good stuff, using the adjective good, and yeah . . . :)

    #ChaseForBookNine

    ReplyDelete